- Nonstick canola oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 of a small zucchini, grated or finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 4 egg whites (or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute or 3⁄4 cup purchased egg whites)
- 1 whole egg
- Fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
Mist a nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Saute zucchini and mushrooms in hot skillet until tender (5 minutes). Add tomato and thyme and heat through for 1 minute. Remove vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
Lightly beat egg whites and whole egg in a small bowl. Add eggs to the hot skillet. Stir with a rubber spatula, lifting cooked eggs to allow liquid egg to flow underneath. Continue until eggs are almost set and lightly browned on bottom. Place cooked vegetables on half of the omelet and gently fold over. Tip onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with chives, if desired. Season to taste with pepper. Serves 1.