Thai Beef Salad
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound flank steak
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 to 8 cups torn salad greens
- 1⁄2 of a hothouse cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup snipped fresh herb mixture containing basil, mint, and cilantro
- Thai Salad Dressing (page 199)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pine nuts (optional)
For the meat, preheat a grill pan or broiler. Drizzle the soy sauce on both sides of the flank steak and sprinkle with ground pepper. Grill or broil steak to desired doneness. Let steak rest while you prepare the salad.
For the salad, place salad greens, cucumber, bell pepper, scallions, and herb mixture in a large bowl. Slice the steak across the grain into thin strips. Mound the steak on top of the salad. Drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with pine nuts, if desired. Serves 4.