Vietnamese-Style Grilled Flank Steak
- With Portobello Mushrooms
- For the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- For the meat:
- 1 pound flank steak
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, gills scraped clean
- Canola oil for brushing on grill
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
For the marinade, mix together soy sauce, ginger, honey, sesame oil, and garlic in a small bowl.
Place steak and mushrooms in a rectangular baking dish. Drizzle marinade over steak and mushrooms. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Prepare grill (or use an indoor grill pan). Remove steak and mushrooms from marinade. Discard marinade.
Brush grill rack or grill pan lightly with oil and grill steak for 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Remove steak from grill or pan and let rest, covered with foil, while you grill the mushrooms for 3 minutes on each side. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and slice the mushrooms into thick pieces. Arrange on plates and sprinkle with scallions, mint, and cilantro. Serve lime wedges on the side. Serves 4.