- Nonstick canola oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 whole egg plus 3 egg whites (or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute or purchased egg whites)
- 1 slice low-fat ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons fat-free tomato salsa
- Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
Mist a nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Saute bell pepper and onion in hot skillet until tender (2 to 3 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside.
Lightly beat whole egg and egg whites in a small bowl. Add eggs to the hot skillet. Stir with a rubber spatula, lifting cooked eggs to allow liquid egg to flow underneath. Continue until eggs are almost set and lightly browned on bottom. Place cooked vegetables and the ham on half of the omelet and gently fold over. Tip onto a plate. Top with salsa and, if desired, a few shakes of bottled hot pepper sauce. Serves 1.