Standing Twist/Rotation to 10:00 and 2:00
Move: Stand tall with feet 2 to 3 feet apart. Slightly bend your knees. Place your hands together in front of your stomach. Squeeze your glutes and inner thigh muscles to anchor and brace your lower body. Pull your shoulder blades together and tightly pull in your abdominal muscles. Twist your upper body side to side. If you were standing on the middle of a clock, your torso would rotate to face the 10:00 mark and the 2:00 mark.
Repetitions: 15 on each side.
• Pay close attention to your posture. Keep your shoulders back, your chest lifted, your abdominal muscles pulled in, and your spine long.
• For more intensity in the legs, you can drop your hips until they are almost as low as your knees. In this position be sure your knees are over your ankles, not forward over your toes.
• Twist only as far as you can without moving your lower body. 10:00 and 2:00 are guidelines.
• All the movement is from the waist up. Keep your hips still.
• This exercise is done without weights. Light weights can be added if you keep the exercise slow and under control.