Move: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet under your knees. Have your hands by your sides next to your hips. Inhale, expanding your ribs. As you exhale begin knitting the ribs together, pressing your lower back into the floor. As you do tilt the tailbone off the fl oor and start to lift your vertebrae off the floor one by one from the tailbone upward until you are up to your shoulder blades. Bring your arms underneath you, lacing your fingers together. Rock from side to side a little to reach your hands down farther toward your feet, opening the neck and shoulders. Hold the stretch for about 20 to 30 seconds.
• Keep the ribs knit together. Do not let the ribs open, which will create an arch in the lower back.
• Press your feet into the floor, keeping your hips lifted.
• When you draw your hands under you, with your fingers laced together open the chest and lengthen your neck.
Boxer Shuffle on the Clock
Move: Imagine you are standing on a clock at 12:00. A boxer shuffle is a bouncy move shifting your weight from right foot to left foot. Leading with the right leg, take the right foot to 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, and 6:00, moving back up and down the clock, keeping your left foot at 12:00. Repeat moving your left foot down the clock to 11:00, 10:00, 9:00, 8:00, 7:00, and 6:00. Shuffle each side of the clock for 30 seconds.
• To learn the boxer shuffle, try jogging in place slowly, keeping your feet closer and closer to the floor. Widen your feet as you do this small jog and you should end up in a boxer shuffle.
Back Flye with Balance
Move: Stand on your right leg, holding light weights. Lift your left leg off the floor behind you and balance. Start with your hands directly under your body, palms facing each other, then lift the weights and squeeze the shoulder blades together.
Repetitions: 12 on each side.
• Keep your chest lifted as you balance.
• Your may feel this more in your standing leg than your lifted leg.
• If balancing is diffi cult for you, tap your foot on the fl oor.
• Lift the weights with control. Squeeze your shoulder blades together as you finish the move.
• Keep your abdominal muscles pulled up and in.
Alternating Knee Repeater with Knee Chop
Move: Stand on your left leg and bring your right knee toward your chest on the left side of your body. As you do your arms will chop to the knee, meeting it. Repeat this move for 30 to 60 seconds. Then repeat the move standing on your right leg, pulling in the left knee.
• Add a little twist by letting your arms go to the outside of the right knee.
• For more intensity in the move, when standing on your right leg, put your weight into your right heel so that you can drop your hips lower.
• Rapidly pull the knee in and out, chopping with the arms for up to one minute.
W.O.W. (Workout Of The Week)
Monday 1/13: Leg Lift video (below) **password: reshape
Tuesday 1/14: Double Trouble (below)
Wednesday 1/15: Leg Lift video (below) **password: reshape
Thursday 1/16: Double Trouble (below)
Friday 1/17: Leg Lift video (below) **password: reshape
Saturday 1/18: Double Trouble (below)
Sunday 1/19: Have fun!
Instructions: 2 rounds, 15 reps each
Moves (pictures to follow):
- Rear dip lunge with tricep kickback
- Squat with bicep curl and overhead press
- Side crunch
- Squat and reach (cardio)