Tasty Bran Muffins
1 1/2 C. Kellog’s All-Bran cereal
1 C. carrots
1/2 C. almonds, roughly chopped
1 1/4 C. milk
1/3 C. pumpkin puree
1 1/4 C. flour
1/2 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Yields 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine All Bran and milk. Let stand about 6 minutes until cereal softens. Add egg and pumpkin. Beat well.
- Add flour mixture, stir only until combined.
- Portion batter evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cubs coated with cooking spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
Apple Pie Protein Shake
- 1 Golden delicious apple (cored and peeled)
- 1 Scoop (2 Tbsp.) Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. Almond butter
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom (ground)
- 2 tsp. Omega-3 (Barlean’s)
- 1/2 C. Ice
Blend together and enjoy!
Kathy’s Green Smoothie Recipe:
2 C. kale, lettuce or arugula (to taste)
1 sliced cucumber
1 sliced kiwi
1 T. lemon or lime juice
1 avocado (take off shell and take out pit)
1-2 C. water
1 T. ground flaxseed
Mix all ingredients together and blend until you reach the right consistency of your tasting.
If you’re whipping up this recipe today, share the photo of it with me! Use #ReShape on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Banana Crisp Yogurt Sundae
- 1 6-ounce container fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup Kashi GoLean® cereal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix the yogurt with the banana in a small bowl. Top with the cereal and sprinkle with the cinnamon. Serves 1.
Master Recipe for Rolled (Old-Fashioned) Oatmeal
- 31⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
To cook on the stovetop:
Pour water into a medium saucepan; bring to boiling. Stir in oats and
immediately reduce to low. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
To cook in the microwave:
Combine water and oats in a microwave-safe 2-quart bowl. Microwave on high (100 percent power) for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the power of the microwave. Take care; the bowl may be very hot! Serve hot. Serves 4.
Note: To reduce the glycemic response, add 1tablespoon protein powder to either steel-cut or rolled oatmeal, then cook as directed. If you like, add 1⁄2 cup plain almond milk to the cooked oatmeal for desired texture.
- 1⁄2 cup hot cooked oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup fresh berries of choice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated orange or lemon zest
Place oatmeal in a cereal bowl. Stir berries, nuts, and zest into hot oatmeal, taking care not to completely break up the berries. Serve hot. Serves 1.
- 1⁄2 cup hot cooked oatmeal
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or chopped dried figs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
Place oatmeal in a cereal bowl. Stir cranberries, walnuts, and cinnamon into hot oatmeal. Serve hot. Serves 1.
Little Figgy Overnight Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel-cut oats or Kashi® oatmeal
- 1 cup dried figs, chopped
- 4 cups water
Mix all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 hours. Serves 4.
For hot cereal you’ll need:
- 1 packet instant Irish oatmeal, Kashi® oatmeal, or Cream of Wheat®
- Make cereal according to package directions. Serves 1.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder and 1 teaspoon peanut butter or
- 1⁄4 cup walnut or almond pieces
For ready-to-eat cereal you’ll need:
- Kashi GoLean®
- Barbara’s Bakery® Multigrain Shredded Spoonfuls
- Whole Grain Total®
- Product 19®
- Uncle Sam®
Measure out no more than 1 cup of cereal (choose from list above) into a bowl. Add 1⁄2 cup almond or coconut milk. Serves 1.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Berry Compote (recipe follows)
- 1 cup rolled (old-fashioned) oats
- 8 egg whites or 1 cup purchased egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Nonstick canola oil cooking spray
Prepare Berry Compote; let stand while making pancakes. Combine oats, egg whites, ricotta cheese, lemon extract, and lemon zest in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth.
Mist a nonstick skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Cook 2 to 3 large pancakes (one at a time if using a small skillet) until large bubbles appear on the surface. Turn pancakes and continue cooking until browned. Top with Berry Compote. Serves 2 to 3.