Apple Pie Protein Shake
- 1 Golden delicious apple (cored and peeled)
- 1 Scoop (2 Tbsp.) Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. Almond butter
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom (ground)
- 2 tsp. Omega-3 (Barlean’s)
- 1/2 C. Ice
Blend together and enjoy!
Warming Weight Loss Soup
4 leeks (white and light green parts)
3 C. kale (chopped)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
28 oz. can whole tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted in this recipe)
8 C. water
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ dice
1/2 C. Lentils (brown or green)
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
12 fresh basil leaves
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. (1 oz.) grated parmesan
- Slice each leek in half lengthwise, and then slice each half into 1/4″ thigh half-moons (px. 2 cups). Place in a large bowl of cold water and swish to remove any grit. Drain and pat dry.
- Remove the stems from the kale, stack the leaves on top of one another and slice them crosswise into 1/4″ wide strips.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3 mins. Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them apart with a spoon for 5 mins. Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir in kale, sweet potatoes, lentils, thyme, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30-40 mins.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.
Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken
- 3 tablespoons bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and/or drumsticks)
- 2 cups unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola, safflower, or sunflower)
Whisk together bottled hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt (if desired), and pepper in a rectangular baking dish. Add the chicken, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add the bread crumbs to the marinade. Mix well; pat the crumb mixture onto the chicken.
Spread the oil over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange the chicken in the dish. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn the chicken over; reduce the heat to 325° and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more, or until the juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork. Serves 8.
Vietnamese-Style Grilled Flank Steak
- With Portobello Mushrooms
- For the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- For the meat:
- 1 pound flank steak
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, gills scraped clean
- Canola oil for brushing on grill
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
For the marinade, mix together soy sauce, ginger, honey, sesame oil, and garlic in a small bowl.
Place steak and mushrooms in a rectangular baking dish. Drizzle marinade over steak and mushrooms. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Prepare grill (or use an indoor grill pan). Remove steak and mushrooms from marinade. Discard marinade.
Brush grill rack or grill pan lightly with oil and grill steak for 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Remove steak from grill or pan and let rest, covered with foil, while you grill the mushrooms for 3 minutes on each side. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and slice the mushrooms into thick pieces. Arrange on plates and sprinkle with scallions, mint, and cilantro. Serve lime wedges on the side. Serves 4.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground uncooked turkey
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Nonstick canola oil cooking spray
- Mango Salsa
Combine beef, onion, cilantro, chile pepper (if desired), cumin, ginger, curry powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl; mix well. Shape beef mixture into 4 patties.
Mist a nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Cook patties in hot skillet for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Top each burger with Mango Salsa. Serves 4.
1⁄4 cup tamari or light soy sauce
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 pound firm tofu
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or toasted sesame oil
4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1⁄2 of a medium white onion, sliced lengthwise into crescents
2 carrots, cut diagonally into 1⁄2-inch pieces
1 cup sliced mushrooms
11⁄2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups chopped Chinese greens, such as bok choy or napa cabbage
1⁄2 of a small red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1⁄2 cup chopped red cabbage
Hot cooked brown rice
For the sauce, combine the tamari, 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds, rice vinegar, honey, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set sauce aside.
Cut tofu into bite-size pieces; set aside. Heat the olive oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, and tofu and cook for 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Add the broccoli and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the greens, bell pepper, and red cabbage and cook for 2 minutes more.
Add the sauce to the vegetable mixture in the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes over low heat. Serve stir-fry with brown rice. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Serves 4.
Master Recipe for Stir-Fry
- Use these proportions to create your own signature stir-fry dishes.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound vegetables, cut into 1-inch pieces (use a mixture, such as broccoli, mushrooms, and bell peppers)
- 1 pound meat/poultry/seafood, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Desired stir-fry sauce
Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and heat until almost smoking. Add the vegetables and stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from wok. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons more oil to the wok as needed; add meat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic; cook and stir until the meat is almost done. Return veggies to wok and cook 1 minute to heat through. Stir in your choice of stir-fry sauce. Serves 4.
Black Bean Stir-Fry Sauce: Combine 11⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan; stir until smooth. Stir in 1⁄4 cup black bean sauce, 3⁄4 cup low-fat/low-sodium chicken broth, 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, and 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions. Cook and stir until thickened (3 to 4 minutes).
Spicy Garlic Stir-Fry Sauce: Combine 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in 1⁄2 cup low-fat/lowsodium chicken broth, 11⁄2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, 11⁄2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, 1 tablespoon ketchup, and 1 tablespoon dry sherry or red wine. Cook and stir until thickened (3 to 4 minutes).
Thai Stir-Fry Sauce: Stir together 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in 1⁄2 cup low-fat/low-sodium chicken broth; 1 clove garlic, minced; 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce or lowsodium fish sauce; 1 tablespoon honey; 1⁄2 to 1 serrano chile pepper, finely chopped; and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Cook and stir until thickened.
Pico de Gallo
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, and lime juice in a bowl. Season to taste with pepper. Let stand to blend flavors
Tomato-Basil Salsa Fresca
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
Combine tomatoes, basil, vinegar, and, if desired, capers in a bowl. Season to taste with pepper. Let stand to blend flavors.
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 hothouse cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
Combine rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, cucumber, and bell pepper in a bowl. Let stand to blend flavors.