Tasty Bran Muffins
1 1/2 C. Kellog’s All-Bran cereal
1 C. carrots
1/2 C. almonds, roughly chopped
1 1/4 C. milk
1/3 C. pumpkin puree
1 1/4 C. flour
1/2 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Yields 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine All Bran and milk. Let stand about 6 minutes until cereal softens. Add egg and pumpkin. Beat well.
- Add flour mixture, stir only until combined.
- Portion batter evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cubs coated with cooking spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
Protein Hot Chocolate
1 C. Water
2 Tbsp. chocolate protein powder*
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
Heat water until boiling. Mix in protein powder and cocoa. Pour in mug and garnish with milk froth and dark chocolate shavings.
*I used Shakeology protein powder, with 9g. of sugar and 18 g. of protein
Warming Weight Loss Soup
4 leeks (white and light green parts)
3 C. kale (chopped)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
28 oz. can whole tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted in this recipe)
8 C. water
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ dice
1/2 C. Lentils (brown or green)
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
12 fresh basil leaves
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. (1 oz.) grated parmesan
- Slice each leek in half lengthwise, and then slice each half into 1/4″ thigh half-moons (px. 2 cups). Place in a large bowl of cold water and swish to remove any grit. Drain and pat dry.
- Remove the stems from the kale, stack the leaves on top of one another and slice them crosswise into 1/4″ wide strips.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3 mins. Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them apart with a spoon for 5 mins. Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir in kale, sweet potatoes, lentils, thyme, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30-40 mins.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.
One-Day Sample Menu
8 a.m. – Berry Protein Smoothie
(1 scoop protein powder + 1/2 c. strawberries & 1/2 c. blueberries + 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 4 oz. skim milk)
Noon – Tuna Salad Italiano
4 oz. drained tuna (try to purchase no-salt added or low-sodium tuna). Combine with chopped onion, chopped celery, and chopped tomato with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add chopped fresh basil, a little garlic and dash of oregano. Scoop onto bed of mixed greens and top off with squeeze of fresh lemon.
3:30 p.m. – Tropical Protein Smoothie
(1 scoop protein powder + ? banana + 1 tbsp coconut oil + 4 oz. soy milk + ice)
7 p.m. – Lemon-Pepper Fish with veggies
(4 oz. of grilled fish (salmon, halibut, or tuna) seasoned with lemon, pepper and garlic. Side of steamed asparagus and broccoli, and a mixed green salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. Salad dressing: 1 tablespoon flax seed oil or olive oil with lemon.)