Bananas Foster French Toast
- 1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 slices low-carb wheat bread (such as Rudi’s Organic Bakery® Right Choice
- or Oroweat® light bread)
- Nonstick canola oil cooking spray
- Bananas Foster Topping (recipe follows)
Beat eggs, vanilla, and nutmeg in a shallow dish. Place bread slices in egg mixture; turn to coat and let soak for several minutes or until most of the egg mixture is absorbed. Mist a nonstick skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet or griddle over medium heat for 2 minutes. Cook French toast on both sides until brown (2 to 3 minutes per side). Remove from skillet and spoon Bananas Foster Topping over French toast. Makes 2 slices.
Bananas Foster Topping
- 1 medium banana, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine banana, apple juice, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Cook until banana is softened and hot but not mushy (3 to 5 minutes). Spoon over the French toast.